mix150.com MIX150 DOWNLOAD GAMES PLAYSTATION RIP FILMS

3/2/12

Peter Jennings (1938-2005)

Peter Charles Archibald Ewart Jennings was a dedicated newsman, a 41-year employee of ABC News and lead ABC evening news anchor for 22 years.

With handsome looks and suave style, a thirst for knowledge, a flexible intellect and extensive experience in the Middle East, Jennings was widely regarded as a leading journalist of his time. He garnered numerous accolades, including 16 Emmy Awards.

Peter Jennings died of lung cancer on August 7, 2005. He announced his diagnosis on ABC World News Tonight on April 5, 2005. In a husky voice that night, he promised, "I will continue to do the broadcast." He never did, though.

During the week of September 11, 2001, he logged more than 60 on-air hours. TV Guide dubbed Jennings the "center of gravity" during that week. On July 1, 2004, he was one of 3 reporters present when Saddam Hussein made his first Iraqi courtroom appearance.

- Peabody Award in 1974 for his documentary on Anwar al-Sadat

- National Headliner Award in 1971 for his reporting on the civil war in Bangladesh

- Harvard University's Goldsmith Career Award

- Radio and TV News Directors Paul White Award

- Two Alfred I. DuPont-Columbia University Journalism Awards

- 16 Emmy Awards

- Named "best anchor" in 1988, '89, '90 and '92 by Washington Journalism Review

- Two Edward R. Murrow Awards, including one in 2004

Birth - July 29, 1938 in Toronto, Canada. Father Charles was a respected broadcaster with the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.

Education - Attended 3 colleges, although he never graduated from either high school or college.

Family - Married 8 years to fourth wife Kayce Freed. Two children, Elizabeth, 25, and Christopher, 23.

Faith - Christian

At age nine, Peter hosted a weekly children's radio show called 'Peter's Program' for CBC. Canadian-born Jennings became a US citizen on May 30, 2003.

"When you begin a project like this, you know you're going to offend somebody. I don't mind offending people - journalists should not mind offending people if they're in search of the truth." Talking about his controversial special, "The Search for Jesus."

"I have never spent a day in my adult life where I didn't learn something."

"I'm not a slave to objectivity. I'm never quite sure what it means. And it means different things to different people."

"If you tailor your news viewing so that you only get one point of view, well of course you're going to think somebody else has got a different point of view, and it may be wrong."

"I think the fairest thing to say about myself is that I am sensitive to the value of faith and religion and spirituality in people’s lives because I’m a journalist. I try to tell young producers here that when they go to interview the survivors of a plane crash, and they ask the woman, 'How did you get through this?' and the woman answers, 'God got me through it,' they are never to then say, 'I understand that madam, but what really got you through it?' That’s the one thing I would say about myself. I’ve come to appreciate the value of that. I do not question people’s literalism, even though I don’t always share it. And as a reporter, I’ve come to realize that this is a terrific story, a terrific, wonderful story." BeliefNet interview, after release of "In Search of Jesus


View the original article here

No comments:

Popular Posts